Graduate Transfer Credit

Can I transfer in previously earned graduate credit? 

Graduate transfer credit is granted on a case-by-case basis and will be evaluated after acceptance to a graduate level program. To request a graduate transfer credit evaluation you must:

We award graduate transfer credits for courses taken at regionally and specially accredited institutions. Official transcripts, syllabi, and course descriptions will need to be sent directly to the Office of Admissions at the time of application submission. All graduate transfer credit petitions (domestic and international) are made on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the graduate Dean of Academic and Faculty Affairs, and/or designee.

Graduate transfer credit policies: 

  • Master degree programs allow up to 12 quarter hours of transfer credit (up to four 3-q.h. or three 4-q.h. courses)
  • Certificate programs allow up to 4 quarter hours of transfer credit (one course)
  • No transfer credit will be awarded to students in the Doctor of Law and Policy program
  • For information on advanced graduate credit toward the Doctor of Education program, click here
  • The Transitional Doctor of Physical Therapy program will allow up to 8 quarter hours of credit (two courses)
  • Minimum course grade acceptable is a grade of B, or 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
  • Credits must be graduate level 
  • Transfer credits must be no more than five academic years old at the time that the student is admitted to graduate study. Courses older than five years will be accepted only in rare circumstances.
  • Credits that have been earned to fulfill an academic requirement for a graduate degree, baccalaureate degree, advanced degree, or certificate of advanced studies at another institution are not transferable

Northeastern University's College of Professional Studies (CPS) is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). It is up to the individual institution to determine whether credit from CPS will be accepted in fulfillment of specific program and/or degree requirements. Students should inquire with the specific institution to determine whether particular credits will be accepted as transfer credit.